A Brief History
A Brief History
Charlotte Country Club began as The Mecklenburg Club. This first club was located west of the city adjoining a pond on or near Stewart Creek. The activities of this early club were confined to card games, picnics, boating, and fishing.
In 1907 three men, who later became members of the present club, obtained a charter for a corporation with Charlotte Country Club as its name. This plan failed and their certificate stating 'no stock sold - no business transacted', canceled the charter.
To avoid confusion with any earlier club, the charter of the existing club was filed February 21, 1910 as the Mecklenburg Country Club. In 1917 the charter was amended to change the name to Charlotte Country Club.
In 1910, golf was in its infancy in the United States, and there wasn't a golf course within fifty miles of Charlotte. The 1910 census counted 34,014 inhabitants living in Charlotte. Duke Power Company had just started to harness the Catawba River and this promised plentiful electric power for the Piedmont. Charlotte was the provincial financial and distribution center of an area emerging with Duke Power's help in attracting manufacturers into an industrial economy. The future was promising but as yet there was little wealth and few citizens with time and money for play.
In these circumstances, the founders launched a new country club. By May 17, 1910 , stock had been sold, the club organized, a site selected, financial arrangements made, and land purchased from W.D. Rock. On the 219 acre site was a red brick house (known as the "Rock House"), erected sometime between 1870 and 1900, and considered a relatively handsome residence by prevailing standards. In short order, the house was remodeled and enlarged to provide a clubhouse. The first nine holes of the golf course were completed and tennis courts constructed. The second nine holes were not completed until 1915.
In 1923 the club members decided to pursue a new clubhouse. On December 11, 1931, the new clubhouse opened with over 1,000 members attending the gala opening. Major remodeling and additions to the club and clubhouse were undertaken again in late January 1989. The grand opening for this major renovation was highlighted by an open house and a formal dinner dance.
From the beginning, many fine citizens have contributed their time and efforts for this club to become a place of rest, recreation and joy for those who belong and the greatest years lie ahead.
(Condensed from "The History of Charlotte Country Club")